Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Middle School Girls Gone Wild

This is from the New York Times. Truly unbelievable.

It’s hard to write this without sounding like a prig. But it’s just as hard to erase the images that planted the idea for this essay, so here goes. The scene is a middle school auditorium, where girls in teams of three or four are bopping to pop songs at a student talent show. Not bopping, actually, but doing elaborately choreographed re-creations of music videos, in tiny skirts or tight shorts, with bare bellies, rouged cheeks and glittery eyes.

They writhe and strut, shake their bottoms, splay their legs, thrust their chests out and in and out again. Some straddle empty chairs, like lap dancers without laps. They don’t smile much. Their faces are locked from grim exertion, from all that leaping up and lying down without poles to hold onto. “Don’t stop don’t stop,” sings Janet Jackson, all whispery. “Jerk it like you’re making it choke. ...Ohh. I’m so stimulated. Feel so X-rated.” The girls spend a lot of time lying on the floor. They are in the sixth, seventh and eighth grades.

4 comments:

M. Shahin said...

Unbelievable indeed! I thank my parents for never homeschooling me most of my school years, because I think I'd be pretty messed up if I had gone through the education system here.

As one scholar said, it is better to flush your kids down the toilet than send them to public school.

jordan robinson said...

I can't disagree with that. My children will be either homeschooled or enrolled in a private school.

I worry about the whole socialization thing, though. Any thoughts?

zanjabil said...

You can request that your child is exempted from taking part in classes which you object to on religious grounds. At least in the UK.

Danya said...

I actually went to a public school so I dunno, I think there are more factors than just the school.

But anyways, one thing you can do Jordan is send your kids like a local little league or maybe some other city-sponsored effort. Perhaps they can volunteer with groups like 4H (is that still around?) or other stuff.